The Respiratory Care Department provides quality respiratory care services
in the inpatient, outpatient, ambulatory and emergency service settings,
working under the medical direction of a physician. Our registered and
certified respiratory therapists are licensed by the Indiana Professional
Licensing Agency, and deliver a wide range of diagnostic and therapeutic
modalities to patients of all ages from the newborn to the geriatric patient.
The Respiratory Therapist provides care at the patient’s bedside,
wherever they are needed, including but not limited to: the intensive
care setting, medical-surgical setting, the nursery, surgical or post
op areas, outpatient clinics and testing areas, and the emergency room.
The Respiratory Therapist is a key member of every emergency response
team in the organization, where they lend their expertise in patient assessment
and in lifesaving and life sustaining interventions.
The Respiratory Care Department utilizes Respiratory Care Protocols to
provide the latest evidenced based care for our patients. That care ranges
from routine oxygen and respiratory therapy modalities to initiation,
delivery and liberation from mechanical ventilation. The Respiratory Therapist
assesses each patient’s condition, develops an individualized care
plan and monitors and adjusts care based on the patient’s response.
They have experience in sophisticated equipment and the latest techniques,
and a genuine concern for the patients they treat.
Pulmonary Function Testing
Certified Pulmonary Function Technologists perform diagnostic testing using
state of the art pulmonary function testing equipment to provide physicians
the data they need to diagnose and treat patients with pulmonary conditions.
Our pulmonary rehabilitation program is designed to help people who are
living with chronic lung diseases such as asthma, bronchiectasis, chronic
obstructive pulmonary disease (including emphysema and chronic bronchitis),
and pulmonary fibrosis. Services are also provided to patients pre and
post lung transplantation surgery. The program provides individualized
care and includes assessment, stress management, exercise and education.
Our outpatient clinic also provides smoking cessation services.
Pulmonary/Respiratory Care Services
- Adult/Pediatric/Infant Patients
- Oxygen Administration
- Oxygen Weaning
- Chest Physical Therapy (Percussion, Postural Drainage, Diaphragmatic Breathing Exercise)
- Aerosol Therapy (Small Volume Medication Nebulizer, Metered-Dose and Dry
- Mechanical Ventilation
- Non-Invasive Ventilation (BiLevel & CPAP)
- Artificial Airway Management
- Endo and naso-tracheal suctioning
- Arterial Blood Gases, Co-oximetry, Electrolytes and Metabolytes
- Non-invasive physiologic monitoring of oxygen, carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide.
- Inter-hospital Transport Team
- Home Oxygen Prescription Training and Referral
- Home Nebulizer Therapy Training and Referral
- Pulmonary Function Testing
- Hyperinflation Therapy (Incentive Spirometry, IPPB, PAP)
- Patient Education (Pulmonary Rehab, Asthma/Peak Flow Program, Smoking Cessation,
Disease Specific and Treatment Specific)
- Respiratory Care Protocols
Adult Patients Only
- Anergy Testing, PPD Testing
- Ambulation with Oxygen
- Tracheostomy Care
- Tracheostomy Change
Respiratory Care Department
520 South Seventh Street
Vincennes, IN 47591