Student Nurse Opportunities
Learn More About the Good Samaritan Student Nurse Extern Program
The Student Nurse Extern Program at Good Samaritan is committed to building
a supportive relationship between the nursing students and professional
nursing staff through supervised clinical experiences. We offer you the
opportunity to gain clinical nursing practice in an organization recognized
for excellence in nursing as a Magnet hospital. This opportunity allows
you to acquire valuable knowledge while working with experienced nursing
staff throughout the hospital.
As a Student Nurse Extern you will:
- Be actively involved in “real world nursing”
- Work side-by-side with your RN Preceptor
- Improve your patient care skills
- Gain confidence in the clinical setting
- Ease your transition from student to RN
- Have an opportunity to demonstrate your professional excellence in practice
and work ethic
Students interested in applying for the Student Nurse Extern Program must
complete an online job application by clicking here. Simply look for the
Student Nurse Extern position and proceed to fill out the application.
Additional school related documents are required for the application process.
Details are included within the online job description.
Questions may be directed to the Good Samaritan Human Resources Department
by calling 812.885.3373. Good Samaritan is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To enter the Student Nurse Extern program, applicants must:
- Show proof of good standing in your nursing program and provide proof of
satisfactory completion of your first year of clinical nursing curriculum
- Submit a transcript of previous semester grades with a cumulative GPA of
2.5 or better
- Submit two letters of recommendation from nursing instructors
- Verify basic nursing skills from your school of nursing
- Complete Good Samaritan employment application, interview and physical
process, which includes a physical exam and drug test provided by the hospital
Nurse Residency Program
A Nurse Residency Program is utilized to transform nurses from novice to
competent by developing critical thinking skills and effective decision
making skills related to clinical judgment and performance.
What’s the plan?
- Monthly Classes – Including presentations, in-depth discussion, and
- Testing – BKAT & Physical Assessment
- Evaluation – Feedback from residents, preceptors and employee engagement
What is expected?
Good Attendance – Mandatory
- Come prepare
- Dress appropriately (scrubs)
- No one “fails”
- Your skills are assessed and the program is tailored to meet your needs
- Provide ongoing feedback, suggestions and thoughts
- The Basics (Codes, Isolation & Legalities)
- Respiratory Insight
- Cardiac Concerns
- Cognitive Complications & Discharge Dilemmas
- Lines, Ports, Drains & Catheters
- Eliminating Errors
- Nutrition Navigation
- Diabetic Do’s and Don’ts
- Wound Wisdom
- Operational Operations
- Pediatric Pals
- Drug Abuse
- The End Walk
- Fails with Falls
- The Journey Continues
For more information about these two programs, please call the Human Resources
Department at 812-885-3373.